Monday, February 8, 2010

Post #3.1 - Position Application Letter: Draft 2

Kavishna Ranmali Kalamba Arachchi
92463452
Crumxxxx@gmail.com
____________________________________________________________________

03-02-2020

Ms Joyce Choo
Neuroscience Research Partnership-Singapore
20 Biopolis Way #01-04
Singapore 119342


Dear Ms Joyce Choo

APPLICATION FOR THE POST OF RESEARCH OFFICER

I refer to the job vacancy, placed on the A*Star website, for the position of a Research Officer. The Neuroscience Research Partnership is a highly integrated program, and its focus on molecular, cellular and especially behavioral aspects of neurodegenerative disorders is something I have a deep interest in.

I am a Bachelor of Science graduate from the National University of Singapore, majoring in Life-Science (with specialization in Biomedical Science) and I do believe that my qualifications make me strongly suited for the position stated above. During my undergraduate years my experience in laboratories in the fields of Microbiology, Biochemistry, Genetics and Organic Chemistry have made me familiar with a variety of techniques, including Gel Electrophoresis and Cell Culturing. These settings have only driven my passion for research even further.

In addition to having solid academic credentials, I am self-motivated, hard-working and I enjoy working in a team. Various co-curricular activities I have participated in my Hall and the Faculty of Science have imbued me with invaluable leadership skills and responsibility. Being the editor of the official NUS Life Sciences magazine “The Mudskipper” has molded in me skills such as adherence to deadlines and organization. Positions like “Logistics Head” for the planning of the 2009 NUS Life Sciences Society Fund-Raiser have taught me the importance of attention to detail. In addition, my interest in sports has also led me to develop traits such as perseverance and resilience. I do believe that if given the opportunity my set of skills will be an asset to the Neuroscience Research Partnership.

I am excited at the possibility of working in an internationally-renowned company, and I have herewith enclosed my detailed resume for your perusal. Should you wish to contact me, you can reach me at 92463452. I am available to meet with you at a time that is convenient to you. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thank you for your time and consideration.


Yours sincerely

Kavishna Ranmali K. A

8 comments:

  1. Heya Ranmali! I like the flow of your letter. The links between your activities and qualities are quite clear.
    The only thing bugging me is the number of 'you's in the fourth paragraph, last three sentences.
    E.g."I am contactable at..." can probably do the job

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ranmali,

    In my opinion, there is really nothing much to pick on in your letter. I agree with Iris. The flow of your letter is good. I thought that the way you highlighted the skills you acquired in your course and related it back to the job was really clever. You repeatedly related your skills to the job throughout the letter. Just a suggestion but maybe you could put your address and contact details below instead? I guess that’s a matter of preference. Overall, I think you did a great job!

    Geraldine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ranmali,
    By reading your post and the two comments, you are very good at linking your skills to you job. Your flow and tone make me impressive. I’ve learned from your letter and got a better idea of how to write an application letter more smoothly and appropriately. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Ranmali

    I think your letter is fabulous. The flow is good, the content is clear and straight to the point. I've learnt a lot from your letter! ((:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw thanks so much Thu Win and Shihhan :) See you guys tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And thanks for the feedback Geraldine, although I think I'll put my address + email address + phone number at the top right corner of the page? I don't know why, seems more like a letter that way for me :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello future A*star researcher,

    I am impressed with your writing skills.You use very good convincing words like "strongly suited" and "moulded".

    Overall,this is a very convincing application letter written with great clarity. :)

    ReplyDelete